Grant Thornton LLP Tax Senior Manager - State & Local Tax - Income & Franchise Tax in Arlington, Virginia
Grant Thornton is collaborative, entrepreneurial and on the move. As part of a dynamic global organization of 47,000 people serving clients in more than 140 countries, we have the agility and focus it takes to be a leader.
State and Local Tax Senior Manager – Income & Franchise Tax
Grant Thornton’s responsive, partner-led Tax service teams help dynamic companies navigate complexity and grow with insightful, practical tax advice. In addition to tax professionals across the United States, our Washington National Tax Office provides deep technical knowledge and responsive support in local, state, federal and international tax. Our tax services include: compliance, human capital services, federal tax services, international tax services, state and local tax services, private wealth services, tax reporting and advisory, partnership taxation, not-for-profit tax, and mergers & acquisition tax services.
The State and Local Tax (SALT) Senior Manager is responsible for the delivery of a full range of tax services for multiple clients in a wide variety of industries. Responsibilities include interacting closely with clients to provide innovative tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise; developing and managing staff; working closely with partners and staff on client management, practice development and business development activities; and formulating and delivering innovative tax planning and tax savings strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: * Oversee the efforts of multiple client services teams on client engagements; plan, execute, direct, and complete tax projects in a wide variety of industries; and market, sell, design, and implement innovative tax-planning strategies for clients; and manage to budget. * Manage, develop, train, and mentor staff on tax projects and assess performance for engagement and year-end reviews. * Deliver a full range of State and Local Tax services including tax return preparation and review, tax research, preparation of technical memorandums, drafting client correspondence, and counseling client in defending against state audits. * Oversee multi-disciplinary, multi-state reviews that analyze income, franchise, sales and use, payroll, valorem taxes, and others to identify optimal filing options, exemptions, credits and incentives, and corporate structures that can reduce the client's tax burden. * Consult, work with, and service client to make recommendations on business and process improvement and serve as a business adviser to client. * Use established network of business relationships within industry groups to generate new sales opportunities. * Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting. CPA, Masters in Taxation, LLM in Taxation, or JD.
- A minimum of eight years of progressive State and Local Tax consulting and/or compliance experience in public accounting or a combination of corporate and public accounting experience.
- Broad exposure to State and Local Taxes including knowledge in State Income/Franchise Tax, Credits and Incentives, Sales and Use Tax; must be eager to work on a variety of SALT issues and not specialize in one particular area. Experience identifying, negotiating and implementing state & local economic development incentive programs.
- Superior analytical, technical, and tax accounting/technology skills with proficiency in US GAAP, tax compliance, corporate consolidated returns, and combined state tax returns. Significant experience performing statutory income tax credit reviews.
- Outstanding leadership, business development, recruiting, training, coaching, and mentoring skills, coupled with excellent written, interpersonal, and presentation skills. Established relationships with various state & local economic development officials and offices.
- Computer expertise including knowledge of tax software and technology. Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Property Tax a plus Additional Information:
- Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel to various client sites. Benefits:
Grant Thornton LLP promotes a nationally recognized culture of health and offers an extensive array of benefits to meet individual lifestyles. For a complete list of benefits, please visitwww.gt.com.
Founded in Chicago in 1924, Grant Thornton LLP (Grant Thornton) is the U.S. member firm of Grant Thornton International Ltd., one of the world’s leading organizations of independent audit, tax and advisory firms. Grant Thornton has revenues in excess of $1.7 billion and operates 59 offices, with more than 590 partners and 8,500 employees in the United States and at our Shared Services Center in Bangalore, India.
Grant Thornton works with a broad range of publicly- and privately-held companies, government agencies, financial institutions, and civic and religious organizations. Core industries served include consumer and industrial products, financial services, not-for-profit, private equity, and technology. Grant Thornton focuses on serving dynamic organizations that pursue growth holistically — whether through revenue improvement, leadership, mission fulfillment or innovation.
It is Grant Thornton’s policy to promote equal employment opportunities. All personnel decisions, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits and termination, are made without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Title: Tax Senior Manager - State & Local Tax - Income & Franchise Tax
Requisition ID: 041581